Before applying, please make sure you satisfy all the requirements below.
An applicant to be eligible for appointment must:
1. Be not less than twenty-one years of age.
2. Be certified by a licensed physician, designated by the Sheriff, as in good health and physically fit for the performance of the duties of the law enforcement officer.
3. Have graduated and received a regular or advanced high school diploma or its equivalent. A certificate of high school equivalency (GED) is acceptable.
4. Be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of Alabama.
5. Have a current, valid Alabama driver's license.
6. Be free from any physical, emotional, or mental condition that might adversely affect the performance of duties, determined by a physician's examination.
7. Be of good moral character and reputation.
8. Have no criminal record at all, except for minor traffic violations.
9. Not, by reason of conscience or belief, be opposed to the use of force when appropriate or necessary to fulfill the required duties.
10. Meet all Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training requirements.**
11. Pass a rigid background investigation.
**Applicants must pass a physical agility / ability test which is required by the Sheriff’s Office and the Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission. This test consists of pushing a car 15 ft.; short run and climb a wood or chain link fence; short run and crawl through a frame (similar to a window); short run and cross a balance beam (4 inches off ground); short run and pull a 165 lb dummy 15 ft. Applicants will also be required to run 1.5 miles in less than 15 minutes & 28 seconds. Complete 22 push ups in 1 minute and 25 sit ups in 1 minute.
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION.